Image Map

July 4, 2012

On the Fourth and What I'm Pinning Wednesday!

Hi again!  Are you getting ready for the fireworks?  I hope you had a fabulous time today.  We had a blast at my cousin's house.  My boys played with her girls and even had the chance to go swimming.  I really hope they never outgrow their friendship.  Now we are home and relaxing.  Of course relaxing for me means wandering around Pinterest and blog reading.  I came across 2 linky parties that are right up my alley - and since they are both rather appropriate for TODAY I decided to go for it and share what I'm pinning and planning on doing in my classroom next year.
I'm linking up with Mrs. M's Blog to share 4 things that I'm planning on doing next year that I've never tried before, and I'm also linking up with Laura from Kinder Kraziness to share some of the things that I've pinned lately.  See, they go together - at least in my eyes. =)
Okay, first thing I'm planning on doing next year is use this book to add to my "bag of tricks" to help kids understand their Reading.  I love Graphic Organizers and when Stephanie from Teaching in Room 6 mentioned it, I had to put it in my Amazon shopping cart.  It's on it's way to me as I type (well, it might be sitting in a warehouse because it is a holiday - but I'm hoping that it is on it's way.)
I've also heard many good things about this book and I'm interested in implementing the 40 day challenge.  Once again, it's on it's way to me.  
I pinned this from Fabulous Fourth Grade and I would like to work on better ways to partner up students this next year for more meaningful learning.  
I would also like to work on more meaningful reflection from students about their day and the different lessons.  I'm thinking about creating something like this (even though I'm not really on Twitter - I'm one of those people that have an account but never use it.)  Maybe a Facebook status update thing instead at the end of the day.  This I pinned from Mrs. White's 5th Grade Class.
 
 I'm also very interested in starting up Calendar Math using Teaching in Room 6's design.  I've done Math 4 Today with my class in the past, and I really enjoyed the spiral type review.  Since leaving primary though, I have missed calendar time with my class.  I want to start it back up.  

Okay, so that's what I want to implement.  Here's what I found that was interesting on Pinterest and the original websites they linked back to.      

Discounts are always good and some of these I'd never heard of before.  
I've always had so many kids that are absent.  I think this is an excellent plan to keep everything organized as to what they need to do to catch up.  
I thought this was a great way for students to remember what they think the most important rule of the classroom is.  
Last year I put pictures from the year on a pocket chart, but I love the idea of making a timeline in the classroom to remember our year.  I just have to figure out where to put this...

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope these inspire you as well!


13 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat with you about Calendar Math. I, too, have done Math 4 Today and will start Stephanie's Calendar math next year. I can't wait. She's got the file in her TPT store and I just bought it and am so glad that I did.

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it too! I'm still thinking of doing Math 4 Today (at least for this year since I already copied it) but since I only do it Monday through Thursday then on Fridays do a special Calendar Math time for Morning Work.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you linked up for this. I actually referenced your whole class writing journals as something I want to try this year :) I love the timeline pic you pinned. I had found something similar months ago, but forgot all about it. I'll have to put it back on my to-do list.
    Storie
    Stories by Storie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the shout out on your blog. =) I just don't know where I'm going to stick the timeline...

      Delete
  3. Wow you have so many great things to do this coming school year. Sounds like it will be a great one for you.

    Thanks for linking up!
    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the link party. I hope it's going to be a great year for all of us. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm doing a classroom timeline also! I'm super excited about it, definitely take pictures of yours when you put it up for me. I love your blog! I’ve given you the Liebster Blog Award! Come by my blog and check it out.

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Book Whisperer is AMAZING! It makes me wish I taught older kiddos so I could implement lots of her practices and ideas. I'm sure you'll love it!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I love the timeline! I was just thinking how I could make an end of year powerpoint, but adding a timeline to the wall might be cool too! I have a photographer as one of my classroom jobs and they always snap photos of activities they think are cool. Then they write a short few sentences about it. What a fun way to turn it into a timeline! :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be neat. I have a timeline for CA history that is up in the classroom, and we do so much with timelines - they make one a paper chain one at the beginning of our Medicine unit, and another one for themselves at the end of the year. I love taking pictures too. Great idea about having the kids snap pictures.

      Delete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!