Image Map

August 27, 2015

Undercover CIA (Math Lesson)

 Yesterday we started chapter 2, we're moving onto addition! When learning about Commutative, Identity, and Associative properties, I like to use the acronym CIA.  The kids totally get it, and I get to have fun with it. When I think of CIA (probably because of all the spy shows I have watched over the years - Alias, Burn Notice, Chuck, Covert Affairs), I tend to think of those dark sunglasses that hide true identities.  


The students took a piece of copy paper and folded it in half.  Then, with the fold on the top of the paper, we drew a line across the paper as the top part of a pair of sunglasses.  Then we drew 3 lines underneath - one on each side for the temples, and then one in the middle for the nose bridge.  After drawing the lines, we then drew 2 U shapes for the lens, and filled in the details like above.  


Cutting was a big deal.  When folded, they cut along the bottom 3 lines and the lens.  The top was left intact to make it a flip up book.  Inside we wrote our notes for Addition Properties and the Subtraction Rules.  The kids were able to decorate their sunglasses in any way (as long as they could still read the notes).  


I used Ashley Hughes' cute sunglasses to create a version that is easy to print!  Just click the picture!

  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I love this lesson. We use the same curriculum and I am completely into spy stuff as well.
    Thank you,
    Mary
    Artistry of Education

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I'll definitely be using this idea. Thanks!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!