Image Map

December 19, 2013

A Bunch of Kindness (RACKs)


My class completed a bunch of RACKS this week. We couldn't help ourselves, it was addicting.  We used this free pack of notes by Diamond Mom - mainly since there were 9 per page (and I wanted to save on copies).  We took a bunch of new books, wrapped them up, and delivered them to different grade levels with a RACK note.  
You've Been RACKed! Random Acts of Christmas Kindness
Then we took more RACK notes and taped them to a bunch of pencils to deliver to the primary students.  Other students were writing notes to our school parent helpers to put in a basket in the office.  Then we took time as a class to make cards for our Reading Buddies (added a little candy cane to them), and wrote thank you notes for the office.  It was a little bit of chaos, with a huge helping of fun.

Today we made posters for the middle school teachers with the saying, "We can't wait to be in your class when we grow up." The kids signed and delivered them too. They also signed cards for their PE teachers and gave a candy bar. 

The fun part was seeing the smiles and random thank you emails of staff that had been RACKed, and they didn't know who was behind it. The kids were tickled hearing the emails. :) So glad that we were able to do something to reach all 9 grade levels. 


After all of that, we did a little RACK for each other.  I had a bunch of these gingerbread men that I've held onto for the past 5 years… since I used to do the Me Doll project back in 2nd grade…  anyhow, the kids chose a person and wrote their name on the person's belly.  Then the kids flipped them over so the backs were showing on their desks.  I gave them 15 minutes and they walked around with their pens, writing compliments or adjectives to describe their classmates.    


I collected them, hole punched, and tied some yarn to the top.  These are now high above our carpet area as a reminder of all the kindness in our classroom.  


I hope this helps you in some way!  Have a great day!  



2 comments:

  1. I like all of your RACK projects. I ran out of time this year (after having 3 snow days) to do any. Last year my class was giddy with excitement when we went out to deliver our projects.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, that is a wonderful idea for using the RACK cards. I am glad they were helpful. I love your gingerbread people idea as well. I will have to remember that for the future.
    Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the winter break.

    Charlene/Diamond Mom
    Diamond Mom's Treasury

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!