Image Map

February 8, 2014

New Blog and Rainy Day Student Motivation



Collaboration Connection
Something special happened this past week - a new blog was born.  :)  A team of 27 teachers have gotten together (myself included) to form a collaborative blog.  It's a mixture of different grade levels, years of experience, but all of us have a passion toward education, and making the world a better place for the next generation.  I hope you come on over to visit - today over there I was able to share a little about me.  :)




Student Motivation {Rainy Day Edition}

It really hasn't rained that much at school - drought and all... but yesterday it poured!  When they can't play outside, I like to give my kiddos a longer brain break in the classroom with a rainy day recess.  It's a "treat" since I always start the rainy day saying that during recess we might need to read or finish up activities... it's not a given.  Sometimes I give them options for independent/partner activities - like drawing, board games, and pulling out the word search books.  Other times, especially when we need to work on teamwork,  I announce that we will be playing a class game.  I like to give choices though, so we always have a class vote.  Below are some of the activities that I use in my classroom.


A couple of years ago when I switched back to 4th grade, I sent home a note to my classroom families, asking for gently used board games to add to our rainy day tub.  They sent in so many options - some even brand new!  I store all my rainy day board games in a big plastic tub (with a lid) that I keep tucked under a table.  I chose a heavy duty plastic tub that ISN'T see through, because I wanted to add to the mystery of the rainy day options.

There are times that I put on a Magic School Bus video - specifically about the weather - during rainy day recess.  I try to save it for a moment that my brain feels like it's going to explode. (I'm sure you understand those rainy day moments.)

What do you do for rainy day recess?  

2 comments:

  1. It's been pouring here too! And, we had a field trip to St. Augustine yesterday-yucky weather! (The kids still had fun!) Choice is so important-I let my students make a lot of decisions in our class, I think we get more buy in! I noticed you had drawing-have you ever used those Ed Emberly books? They're step by step and kids love them! Thanks for linking up Emily! :)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not had a rainy day in a long time but we have been inside for weeks due to extremely cold weather!! I like that you make a plan for indoor recess. Congrats on the collaborative blog, I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!