Image Map

October 12, 2013

Student Motivation: Using the Seasons



It's Saturday already?  It's been a crazy busy week.  Nothing like starting 2nd trimester off with a bang. 

This week has been a ton of fun - but the fun was also academic.  That's my student motivation today as I link up with Joanne over at Head Over Heels for Teaching.  

For example, yesterday my students completed Candy Corn Math to change it up a bit.  

We used Fifth in the Middle's math activity.  I highly recommend it!  It got them working in groups - having that "Math Talk" while they estimated, measured, compared, graphed, surveyed, and created patterns.  It was so much fun!  It took my 4th graders about an hour to tackle the entire thing.  
Fall Candy Corn Math
The prep was pretty easy - I just picked up a big bag of candy corn - and put 1/3 of a cup into a snack size plastic bag.  It easily made 8 bags.  Then the class formed groups of 4, and went to it.  I realized that my kiddos completely had forgot about how to set up a graph, so we had to do that part together... channelling the primary teacher in me.

I love to incorporate the seasons into my classroom.  I hope you have a great day!    

5 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I'm heading over to check it out now :)
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you...I love incorporating the seasons. All of my math word problems this week were about the fall!


    Sarah
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun!!! I'm so glad you included how much went into each bag-I'm doing this activity next week! I know my students will love it too! Anything edible is exciting right Emily??!! (for adults too!) Thanks for sharing and linking up friend!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy is always good! Now you have me thinking about how I can incorporate candy into my ELA lessons next week. :)
      Sorry, put the wrong link above.
      ~Holly
      Fourth Grade Flipper

      Delete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!