Image Map

April 10, 2014

It's All About Newspapers

The beginning of the printing press... sounds exciting, right?!  Just another story as part of our basal's Communication Unit.  I "spice" it up a bit by adding in a whole newspaper aspect.  So many kids don't understand what a newspaper includes, so when I found these ELA Centers by Fifth in the Middle I was excited about it.  We have been doing them during our ELA Workshop time.  I printed them off 2 per page, and only made 5 copies.  The kids have been working in teams and having to TALK to each other - giving reasons and explaining their thinking.  


So far we've done an editing activity, a synonym sort, a reference activity, and sorting types of ads.  Each activity has included 20 cards, some with multiple choice answers.  The groups wrote their answers on the sheet provided and then we went over full class to correct.  It led to good discussion.  I'm saving a making words activity for tomorrow's Fun Friday.  


Highly recommend these activities - perfect for my 10 year olds.  

Read All About It! - ELA Centers for Upper Elementary

In addition to the centers, the kids have also created their own newspapers that include weather, comics, letters to the editor, records, and this day in history.  It's all made up information, just for the fun of creating a newspaper.  

The kids did have to work this week too with our story - writing nonfiction notes, a timeline, and a compare/contrast between 2 types of visual communication.  

Hope you had a good day!  I can honestly say I did.  Stress free at last.  :)

  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad they worked out for you!! Thanks for the shout-out! And I'm also very glad that you are now stress free ;) Hope it lasts a long time!!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!