Image Map

January 31, 2013

Positive and Negative Number Football Fields


Just a little post with pictures to show off my student's art work... or is it math work?  We have been working with negative numbers and I wanted to do a spin off of the "normal" number line.  Enter football math.

Here are a couple of examples:


We folded the paper in half vertically, then opened it up and 
folded it in half horizontally.  


We then drew the number line part and made sure to 
put the "0" on the crease.

After we wrote the numbers -20 to 20, we drew a large oval around the outside of the paper and wrote words on the field - making sure our words were on either side of the fold.  Positive numbers had the words that correspond to moving in that direction: gained, earns, added.  Negative number had those other type of words: owes, pays, loss, dropped.  


When it was all said and done, the students had a chance to decorate their football fields.  They drew people in the stands (those circles are the people's heads), some even got really into it like the student above who included the hot dog man...

I really do enjoy my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!