Image Map

October 9, 2013

Apostrophes, Quotations, and Commas - Oh MY!

We've been having fun in my classroom.  :)  A lot of wet glue has been used - so messy, so worth it!  

This week in our mentor sentences we have been focusing on apostrophes, quotations, and commas.  I use Jivey's Mentor Sentence unit... this week our story has been Stellaluna.  Such a good story!  
Anyhow, after we read it, picked it apart - I wanted them to have more practice working with the different punctuation before we created our own sentences.  So I used Where the Wild Things Learn's task card pack.
Commas, Apostrophes and Quotations with Macaroni
I ended up just printing the entire thing off and with the 24 of each type of card, I formed 6 groups.  

Imagine this - 6 groups, 12 cards total (no groups had matching cards).  The kids cut the cards a part, glued it onto large construction paper (they fit on two 12x18 sheets stapled). 
They first glued down the task cards to the paper, to make sure they all fit, then they moved onto the macaroni part - adding commas, quotation marks, and apostrophes.  


That was yesterday...  so today we took it to a new level.  Instead of groups, they had to find a sentence in our read aloud - Charlotte's Web that showed all 3 types of punctuation and had to write it in their mentor sentence notebook as a good example.  Then they showed me for approval, chose a colored sentence strip, and wrote it in marker - adding macaroni over the punctuation as they went. 


These are now hanging up on the wall as a display of great sentences - of course I forgot to take a picture of that.  



I hope you had a great day! Linking up with Holly's Tuesday Tried It!  






2 comments:

  1. This is great!! Did they glue the macaroni too? I am not on that mentor sentence yet but have to bookmark this for when we reach that skill. Thanks!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I am going to steal this one and use it for a day before a break! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!