Image Map

October 6, 2013

Peek at my Week

Mrs. Laffin's Laughings: A Peek at My Week {September 15, 2013}
Linking up with Mrs. Laffin's Laughings again to share a peek of my week.  


We are moving into our business unit.  For an introduction to the unit, I have students brainstorm a business that they are familiar with, and then they have to come up with a product list.  Our story this week is a short one, so it allows us time to really talk about what makes up a business.



We are still tackling doing everything in multiplication (switching from addition and subtraction), so this week is working on patterns and function tables..  I've been adding task cards into my morning math meeting to make it an easy switch out at the end of the day and to give some variety.  



I made up this freebie to help my kids review - there are 14 function tables with
 different operations to get my kids thinking of finding the rules.


The past couple of weeks we have been so focused on science that social studies took a back seat. This week is all about learning about the CA Explorers - Cabrillo, Drake, and Vizcaino.  


I'm using my pack to have the kids compare/contrast the men, writing informational paragraphs, and drawing portraits.  


We have one more chapter about Ecosystems - so this week my students are bringing in an empty Kleenex box to paint their own ecosystem - that's the plan for Friday.  I'll talk more about that in a different post - basically it's this idea - picture is from last year.  



Our Mentor Sentences this week focus on commas, apostrophes, and quotation marks.  I'll be using Where the Wild Things Learn's Task Cards to help kids focus.  
Commas, Apostrophes and Quotations with Macaroni
Then I picked up a box of elbow macaroni, and the students will be creating their own examples on sentence strips - gluing on the macaroni.  I'm so excited about this project!  

Have a great week!  


3 comments:

  1. What a fun week for your kiddos. I love the elbow macaroni idea. Thank you for the freebie!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great use for macaroni! Can't wait to see how it goes. :)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun week. I can't wait to try the freebie!!! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!