Image Map

May 19, 2013

Fossils, Rocks, and Minerals - Mentor Text Link Up




Today I'm joining up with Collaboration Cuties to share a Science book that I use every year with my class of 4th graders.  


When I get to teaching the Rocks and Minerals section of the textbook the kids tend to either get really interested, or else they get really bored.  So I turn them into little paleontologists and use this book to get them searching for clues.  I picked it up in a Scholastic book order a few years ago - complete with a few rocks.    

We read this at the beginning of the unit, then we go onto classifying rocks vs. minerals.  We are given a rock kit at school as part of the science materials box.  Those rocks are all labeled and we notice the hardness, cleavage, color, texture, etc... filling in a simple chart that they make on a piece of copy paper.  Then we go onto classifying others by having students bring a rock from home.  We are outside on the concrete doing the streak test and they are finding information using this book and their text.  It's fun and the kids get the point.

Then later on we complete the Rock Cycle and use food to understand the 
different types of the rock processes.   


So here's the recap:


Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Food makes everything more interesting! I love how you use this book with your students. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to teach rocks and minerals in 3rd and I miss it because we don't teach it in 4th. I really liked that unit! I think I used this book too!

    Thank you for linking up! Your rocks with food look so fun!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!