Image Map

August 22, 2013

An Outside Lesson

Hi Everyone.  Today felt like play time, it was just filled with fun activities. In math we avoided opening up the math book and instead compared & ordered numbers using whiteboards and index cards. In my small groups we started with each kid thinking of a 4 digit number on their whiteboard, and then the groups would have to do greatest to least or least to greatest putting the numbers in order. Then we bumped to 5 digit, then 6, then into the millions. Then I gave them the challenge of taking 2 index cards a piece, writing down 2 numbers into the millions and ordering them.

We also worked on our interactive notebooks, worked more on our Summer Sandwiches, and took our school pictures.  Then this afternoon we did a fun little thing I love to do when time allows... Go outside :)

I know - what a concept...

Yesterday and today my class has been learning about Nonliving and Living Organisms. After we defined everything and picked their brains a part making connections, I told them that we were going to take a field trip (outside to the playground). There was a bunch of oooo's (according to them I'm the best teacher ever).  We got our brainstorm papers ready and we headed outside.
I only gave them about 12 minutes to come up with a minimum of 10 items - 5 for each category, but they did a great job finding things. What a day... Slowly but surely we are getting into a routine. Tomorrow is going to be a big one too. First tests tomorrow... First letter grades...

Hope you had a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I took a little field trip outside yesterday with my class too. Our playground isn't open yet because P.E. is still going over rules with them. We sat in the shade which is fine by me since it's still summer in Florida. :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! So many hands-on activities! I bet your students loved it!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they were having a blast! Amazing what a little fresh air can do! I need a break outside myself sometimes. :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!