Image Map

August 16, 2013

Five for Friday

fiveforfriday2
I'm blogging because it relaxes me... and if I wasn't doing something, I would probably be fast asleep on the couch.  This week wore me out!  

What was this week all about?  Getting to know my new kids!  Since it was the first week of school and I read so many read alouds to my students.  I figured I would use those as my 5 for Friday and link up with Doodlebugs Teaching.  :) 

Monday
Day one of school my read aloud was...
Afterwards we brainstormed ideas for being bucket fillers and bucket dippers.  They have grasped the concept!  I then went on to explain the bucket filling area of the classroom.   

Tuesday
My read aloud was...

My students started Mentor Sentences - and Jivey's unit.  It was amazing what they remember from past years - it gives me hope for the year.  :)  

First 10 Weeks: Mentor Sentence Unit

Wednesday
My read aloud was...
I actually wasn't there to read it to them since I had a district committee meeting to attend.  They enjoyed it though and today (Friday) we referenced the book when starting our California State Symbol Fact Fans.  We did guided draws for California Poppies and the California Golden Trout this afternoon.   Guided draws practice listening skills.  :)
California State Symbol Fact Fans {30 facts}

Thursday
My read aloud was actually starting...
I know!  I love this book.  :)  
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing Mini Pack

My students have this sheet from my Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing Mini Book in their binders and after every chapter they write a short summary containing the main idea and a couple of details.  We read more today.  I'm still waiting to pull out the Activity Cards and Journal that go with it.

Friday
My read aloud was actually from my Open Court teacher's edition to introduce our unit Risks and Consequences, then we read more of Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. :)

Bundled Weekly Reading Records (Fiction & Non-Fiction)

Something I have really enjoyed this week have been using these Weekly Reading Records from Stephanie Ann.  I have the 5 different fiction sheets copied per table group, kept in the middle of the table.  They are laminated and I added a color dot to keep them organized.  After silent reading time (aka Read to Self), the kids grab their spiral notebook and their laminated sheet and record information about their book - having about 5 minutes to complete the response - practicing different skills and strategies every day.  I love it (and I wish I would have started it sooner in my career).  Today I just grabbed each set and rotated them to a different table for next week.  :) Easy peasy!
Hope you had a great week!  Just a reminder - my store will be on sale this coming Sunday through Tuesday at 20% off.  Yay for sales!  Did you get ideas yesterday of most wish listed items or items that my blogging buddies have in their own carts?  My wish list certainly filled up AGAIN!  

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using your read alouds for your Five For Friday. I am planning on reading First Day Jitters to my peanuts during the first week of school too.
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your read aloud choices and actually think that this idea would be a fun linky for the the first week of school. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea with the mini book! I don't get my kids to do anything with the novel I read them, but actually this is great! Thanks
    Erin
    The E-Z Class Follow on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!