Image Map

July 18, 2013

Fun Little Place Value Game and Day 3 Winner



The other day I needed to go out and buy more of these sticks.  Getting the 1,000 pack was a much better deal, but then I started wondering if it was going to take me another 13 years to go through the box.
After hot gluing a bunch of stuff, I realized that they could be the perfect place value activity.  
My students need to learn place value up to the millions, so I took 9 sticks and wrote the place values and added some commas.  
Then it was a matter of shuffling them up and putting the sticks in order.  The same kind of thing that I do with index cards and using whiteboards, but somehow it never occurred to me to use sticks.  Nice, small, easy to store sticks.  
My own almost 4th grader kept putting them in order last night to practice.  He had forgotten comma placement.  You know, the little things in life.  

Well, that will take care of 288 of them for this coming year.  What other uses do you have for popsicle sticks?  

Onto our winner!  

Have a great day!  


3 comments:

  1. I do something similar with numbers written on them, then students have to put the numbers in order from least to greatest or greatest to least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I am also going to make number word sticks to have students match the numerals with the number words. I also bought the 1,000 box and need ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!