Image Map

February 26, 2014

Using Crayons in Writing

Writing... My kiddos have until the week of March 10th to practice their writing skills before the district test.  We have been writing so much lately.  They have conventions down pat - which I contribute to them using my Rainbow Edit on a weekly/daily basis.  


The kids write a rough draft and have to identify the different conventions using colors - each paragraph should be colorful, and if it's not then there is a problem.  
Rainbow Edit Writing Process
I stress to the kids that if someone can't read their writing easily- if they don't show pride in their work - then no one will want to give it much time of day (and the effect is that they will get a bad grade).  That by 4th grade they better be using indents, capitals, and punctuation correctly.  That they are capable of adding details for every fact and for every paragraph - details meaning adjectives and examples.  The talk seems to work every year, because they really are striving to do their best.  
    


Yesterday my class worked on making our writing less choppy.  We have been reading McBroom and the Big Wind this week (in addition to our Mentor Texts), and have a been identifying what causes the readers to be entertained.  We want to capture our readers attention, and figurative language does that.

Figurative Language Spring Templates (Graphic Organizers)

Reading McBroom, we made a list of some of the different types of figurative language we read.  The kids had their own rainbows (from my spring template set), and wrote them in the specific areas.  Personification, Alliteration, Onomatopoeia, Metaphor, Simile, Hyperbole....  the kids have practiced so much using my task cards, etc that they got it.  


I think they turned out just perfect!  So many examples in the text, so many examples they were brainstorming.  I really think fun activities make learning this tedious type of stuff more fun - and anything that involves crayons is still a winner in their eyes.  :0)  

Do you use crayons in writing - other than to illustrate?  


Reminder - the Educents Bundle is almost over - don't wait too long to pick it up!  

Also - my store will be on sale starting tomorrow through Sunday.  Thursday and Friday there is an extra 8% off using the code TPT3.  Don't forget the code!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Pinkadots-Elementary

Have a great day! 

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! We have used green, yellow, and red to mark topic, details, and closing- but this is awesome! Thank you!! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy editing with colors. I still love your rainbow editing idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love editing with colors! I really like your idea of rainbow editing and think it would work with my kiddos! Thanks for passing it along!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea as well, but I can't find it anywhere on TPT. The link isn't working either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbey - I wonder what's going on with the links? It just worked for me. Maybe the TPT server or the blogger server was acting up?? Here's the link if you want to check it out. It's also under my writing custom category. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Rainbow-Edit-Writing-Process-440198

      Delete
  5. I love the rainbow edit Emily! And, my student love using colored ANYTHING! It's the little things that make us all happy! :)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!