Image Map

November 13, 2013

Chocolate Touch and Fever



I can't believe it's almost December. Soon it will be time to cover the house with lights, snowmen, candles... In the classroom that means it's time to read 2 of my favorite chocolate books. Yes 2. I can't just choose one like Jessica said. The beauty of the books is that they are short. Like you can be done with them in the 3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas break.  


Chocolate Touch and Chocolate Fever are very similar books, but different enough to hold the kids' attention. I like reading them in December because it leads to a great discussion about moderation with all the treats that are out and about (especially with what goes on in the stories).

In class I have a ton of whole class read aloud books.  I know I've mentioned it before, I had a field day a couple of years ago spending bonus points and loading up on $1 books.  We read together every afternoon for about 20 minutes.  Last year I also bought a bunch of Audio books for my read alouds.  Over at Audible they have versions with the authors reading them, it's amazing all the different inflections they use.. much better than I could do!  I have the recordings on my nano (which I plug into my speakers).  

After reading we always do a Venn diagram between the 2. Comparing the characters, the plots, etc.


This summer I also made up these activity cards that go along with Chocolate Touch. I made similar ones for Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and it kept the kids busy thinking more in depth about the story. I would pick a couple a day to go over after our daily readings. 


In addition to the activity cards I have my kiddos use the my mini pack's chapter summaries to write main ideas down, and at the end of the books they write down their favorite parts. Then all the pages are stapled together and they do a compare and constrast between the two. 

Well, that's it! I got nothing else at the moment... Other than reminding you about the blog naming contest going on. 

If your idea is chosen there are multiple prizes to win... Like over 20! 


4 comments:

  1. These are two great books! Our third grade does a unit on chocolate, but I always have copies of these books on hand for independent reading.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to do these together! Thanks so much for linking up such great ideas! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these two books. I use them between Thanksgiving and Christmas too. I give the kiddos a Hershey kiss each day that we read. They love it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!