Image Map

June 30, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted



It's time for another Let's Get Acquainted Party - this time it's a Tic Tac Toe Edition


College
I went to Biola University and a favorite memory included going with my friends to a dressy dinner at the Disneyland hotel.  Yes, Disneyland was 15 minutes away from school, so it was a constant source of entertainment.  I went with a group of friends, dressed in a ball gown (it was that dressy), and after the dinner we went into Disneyland with our season passes to ride some rides.

First Year of Teaching
When I graduated from Biola (Southern CA), I was offered a position at my student teaching site.  BUT I had my heart set on returning to my hometown (Northern CA) where there weren't any teaching positions available.  After a frustrating summer with only a couple of interviews, I was called 3 days before school started to interview at my own elementary school.  Only it wasn't for a classroom teacher position.  It was for a 40% science teacher position... I grabbed my student teaching Life Cycle Unit Binder (where I had been in charge of all the lessons revolving around those baby chicks) and headed out the door.  The interview went great - though it was weird being inside the principal's office.  I was offered that position, in addition to another 40% science position at another school across town.  My weeks were busy that year even with only teaching 80%.  I taught Monday & Tuesday at my old school, sharing a classroom with the other science teacher teaching 2nd, 3rd, and 5th graders.  Then on Wednesday & Thursday I went to the other school, had my own classroom, and taught 1st, 2nd, and 4th graders.  I had Fridays off so I was able to sub for the 9 classes that I taught.  I met my future husband in February of that year, and had my appendix out that March.  Awww... memories.  :) 

My Favorite Grade to Teach and Why
Over the past 13 years of teaching I've taught everything from Kindergarten to 8th grade, special education, to science, to general education.  What I really love is 4th grade.  In college I had my head wrapped around primary, I think mainly since that's what my mom taught her entire career.  I LOVE my 4th graders though.  Yes, I did leave 4th grade for 4 years because there was an opportunity to teach 2nd grade, in a non rotating room, with only 20 kids, on a year round schedule... BUT when the opportunity came back to teach 4th I jumped at it.  The kids are the perfect age for me.  They are independent, they get my jokes, and they still love their teacher.  Then you add the curriculum: California history, fun math, and literature that I still love from when I was little  - and it's the perfect combination.  :)  

I hope you go link up too!

3 comments:

  1. Your dressy dinner at a Disneyland hotel sounds AMAZING! That's exactly my kind of night, I love getting dressed up {fancy} & then going to Disneyland all dressed up makes it even better. Such a great memory.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my firsties got my jokes.
    Latoya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disneyland practically next door. How great is that? Ha ha to Latoya's comment above. I wish my kinders told jokes that made sense!

    ReplyDelete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!