Image Map

July 3, 2012

Mystery Hero


I know this picture has been floating around on Pinterest for a while now, and it's been on my Classroom Management page too... but I wanted to give it the importance that it deserved - front and center.  This activity was simple, but it really helped my students to feel cared about.  They grew in responsibility from it.  I would watch them linger in front of their name, and show it to their friends who might have been absent the day they had been chosen.


How it works in my classroom:
Basically, I have all the student numbers on ball pit balls in a big reusable grocery bag.  I chose to use student numbers so I can reuse them from year to year.  In the morning I grab out a ball, look at the number, and watch that person throughout the day.  I don't share who the person is with the kids.  I don't tell them boy or girl, odd number or even.  It's a secret all day long.  I tell the class if the Mystery Hero is doing a great job, or if the person needs to step it up a notch.  They have no clue who I'm talking about, so they all usually try their best.  

At the end of the day if the Mystery Hero did a great job overall I share the person's name, and the entire class gets a prize of some type.  Either a piece of candy, a class ticket, or a sticker.  Something small that still makes an impact.  The entire class is thankful for that person, and that person literally is beaming for being the hero of the day.  I put up their name on the cabinet door, to remind themselves and the class that they did a great job.  If the person did not do a good job, then I don't tell the class who the person is, though I do talk with that one individual and let them know they could have done better.  If a student is chosen more than once, of course their name is already on the wall, but they still have the opportunity of winning the class a prize.  

Sometimes it's the simplest things that make the biggest impact.

Sincerely,



12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry - I thought it was... I'll go change that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was juts going to give the mystery person the prize...but really, it's the whole classes effot since they have no idea who it is! I think I may do that! Thanks for the idea:)

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do this everyday - I don't want anyone to think that - It's just a couple of times a week that I do it to reinforce the motivation to make good choices. =)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for coming over to my blog! I LOVE the Mystery Hero idea. What a great idea for classroom management. I'm going to try it with my kiddos.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog! I am your newest follower :D Can't wait to see all your great ideas!

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog & started following :) I like the hero idea. I'm doing a lot with stars this year so I may have to change it to Secret Star.
    Storie
    Stories by Storie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me. =) It really worked well in my classroom, I hope you like it too!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog! I see you already have a Versatile Blogger Award but I'm nominating you for it again :) I really like the mystery hero idea and think I might try it out!

    Katie
    Jungle in Room 207

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nominating me again. =) I appreciate the support!

      Delete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!