Image Map

February 21, 2013

Dr. Seuss' Birthday and Pins


This morning I woke in a panic.  I knew February was quickly flying by, but this morning it occurred to me that after February comes March, and that was next week!

So, instead of sleep I've been downstairs on the computer updating my Dr. Seuss activities for this year... you know, changing the date, etc...

Every year, for as many years as I can remember I've celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday.  

When I taught Kindergarten I brought in eggs & food coloring and scrambled them.  The kids were grossed out every year.  This year I want to do this for my students.    
"Green Eggs and Ham" snack for kids! I do so like green eggs and ham, thank you Sam-I-Am!
When I taught 2nd grade, the team would each choose their favorite Dr. Seuss read aloud and we rotated rooms to share with the other classes.  The kids really enjoyed that - having the teachers switch around instead of them moving.  
Green Eggs and Ham
In 4th grade I still celebrate.  I give Dr. Seuss credit for helping teach my students to read.  So I give my students an invitation to attend a Read In.  Pillows, Blankets, Books, PJ's... it's a full invitation just like a party.  I also use this Read In for another fundraiser for my classroom and turn it into a Read-a-thon for technology.  Last year we raised enough for a Kindle Fire and a NowBoard.  This year I'm hoping for more MP3 players and another Kindle Fire.    

I also bring in a couple of Dr. Seuss books (and ask my students to bring in their favorites), and we make up a figurative language book like the below picture.  It's not my picture, but it's the same idea.  I give them the outline of a Dr. Seuss hat and they cut it out on top of another piece of copy paper.  We then staple the 2 papers together, one staple in each section of the hat.  They then cut the top paper on the specific lines so it's becomes flippable.  They write the titles to the different sections out just like below, and then we dive into our books to then write examples under each section.  Just another way to practice Figurative Language.    

Dr. Seuss Figurative Language Foldable - NEW Foldable from the FlodiFun Factory!

How do you celebrate?  

Linking up with Learning in Wonderland Pinspired Linky.
Photobucket


4 comments:

  1. The Green Eggs and Ham pretzel treats are something I never thought of doing but it is so cute! I may have to do that too :) The idea of rotating to read in each other's room is wonderful! The kids must get so excited for each reading. Thank you for sharing these awesome ideas and thank you for linking up!
    Maribel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I haven't made them yet, but I think it's just melted white chocolate with a green m&m or skittle on top.

      Delete

I hope this was able to help you in some way. I love comments and I like to reply via email. Please make sure your profile is set up with your email address (and that it's not a noreply-comment@blogger.com). Have a great day!